Monday, October 6, 2008

Metacommunication


I have never heard of such a word in my life. But, I was introduced to the word in my Human Communications class by my lecturer. I found it to be a very interesting word so I went to check it out.

  • If I checked my English Oxford dictionary, it would mean "beyond human communication."
  • If I referred to my Human Communication textbook, it would mean "communication about communication", which can be verbal or non-verbal.
  • However, some communication experts describe metacommunication as the language of hidden meanings behind routined, often-used expressions.
  • Some authors in the communication field also have different opinions about it. To them, it is in nearly everything we say; it is the hidden meanings behind our words; and, it is indicated by such factors as pitch, resonance, melody, word choice, word emphasis, and emotional overlay.

SEE??

One word, tonnes of meanings. That's how misunderstandings and misinterpretation occurs. That's why human relationships are so complicating. It is advisable that one should, at a point, sitback, relax and discuss with your partner about your relationship. It is sort of an assessment on how your relationship is progressing. See what it is lacking, what needs to be improved and what needs to be proud about. Compliments are needed once in awhile as one compliment can go a long way. So, metacommunicate away!

[Li Ann =)]

No comments: